Eat, drink, and be merry: your indoor adventure guide
Need a little break between hikes? Jump off the couch and join us for edible, drinkable, and “cosmic” exploration!
A slice above the rest
There’s pizza, and then there’s artisan pizza. Pies & Pints in Fayetteville cooks with style— and the results are not only innovative but also delicious.
Bite into a slice of:
- Cuban Pork: an exotic pizza with slow-roasted pork, caramelized onions, fresh pineapple, jalapenos, feta, cilantro, and creme fraiche
- Grape & Gorgonzola: a sweet-and-salty pie with red grapes, fresh rosemary, and Gorgonzola cheese
- Black Bean: a bold, vibrant pizza with seasoned beans, jalapenos, cheddar, salsa, cilantro, and creme fraiche
- Sriracha Shrimp: a festive creation with sriracha-marinated shrimp, garlic, red onions, fresh pineapple, scallions, basil, mint, cilantro, and sriracha aioli
That’s just the beginning. Fancy ingredients don’t hide flavorless crusts, either; homemade dough gives every pie a solid foundation. Dig in!
Bridge Brew Works
With nature as your muse, why settle for business as usual? That’s the spirit behind Bridge Brew Works, a Fayetteville microbrewery with bold, memorable IPAs, stouts, and lagers.
For an adventurous twist to your day, visit the brewery! As you’ll discover, most beers are inspired by the New River Gorge. The names might escape you unless you’re a local, though, so here’s a guide:
- The Blunt: named after a trick performed on whitewater waves, this amber ale splashes the palate with hints of Spanish cedar. Bottles only.
- Long Point Lager: a hoppy, crisp brew named after a popular New River Gorge trail. Available all year. Draught only.
- Crux Kölsch: a “crux” is the most difficult part of a mountain climb, and the Gorge’s sandstone cliffs have plenty of climbing routes! This German-style beer has a spicy finish. Seasonal.
- Black Diamond Lager: inspired by the region’s challenging ski slopes, this dark beer tantalizes your senses with hints of chocolate. Seasonal (draught only).
- 3 River Tripel: a creamy, slightly fruity brew that commemorates the Gorge’s rivers: the New, Gauley, and Bluestone. Limited availability.
Bridge Brew Works has more brews in its lineup, too. The brewery is open Tuesdays-Thursdays from 1-5 p.m. and Fridays-Saturdays from 1-6 p.m.
Secret Sandwich Society
Think sandwiches are only for lunchboxes? Fayetteville’s popular eatery is a transformative experience. Using homemade, fresh ingredients, cooks at Secret Sandwich Society glamorize this humble meal.
Look forward to creations like:
- Eagle: a burger layered with an over-easy egg, mortadella, garlic mayonnaise, pickles, crispy onions, and American cheese.
- Washington: a toasted baguette with ham, green apples, white cheddar, and rosemary mayonnaise.
- Fillmore: a savory fried eggplant sandwich with onions, spicy cherry peppers, provolone, garlic mayo, and greens on a toasted baguette.
Secret Sandwich Society makes all of its sauces— including ketchup and mayonnaise— on site, too.
If there’s such a thing as fancy bowling, this one qualifies. Pinheads in Oak Hill is sleek, bright, and modern. Even the meals are surprising; you can order Southwest chicken eggrolls, pizzas, and calzone-style “muffins,” among others. Thirsty after a duel with your buddies? Pinheads has an enormous selection of bottled beer— almost 100 options. They also serve beer on tap, soda, and refrigerated drinks.
But if there’s one thing that makes Pinheads stand out, it’s cosmic bowling. Every Friday and Saturday night, the lanes glow in the dark. Separate times for families and adults ensure everybody has a good time, too.
Epic Escape Game: New River Gorge
Fayetteville’s “locked-room” adventures will keep you entertained through winter. In fact, you’ll probably need to come back multiple times— the plots are that engaging!
Here’s what’s happening at Epic Escape Game: New River Gorge:
- Runaway Train (easy): your speeding locomotive is running out of track. Can you find all the clues and stop the train before time’s up?
- Mothman (intermediate): a storm traps you in the legendary monster’s lair. You have an hour before the Mothman returns.
- Brave New World (hard): a nuclear missile is fueling, and it’s pointed at the United States. Fortunately, your friend has the cancellation codes in his cabin. Locate them before disaster strikes— literally!
You don’t need any experience to play these games. Just bring your wits (or your smart buddies) and let the countdown begin!
Have fun! What indoor adventure are you going to try this winter?