You’re gonna need an entire weekend for Bridge Day!
The world’s biggest BASE jumping festival attracts the best entertainment, too. Rappellers and other airborne daredevils steal the limelight on Bridge Day, but there’s plenty of action all around the gorge before and after, too. Here’s the best of the weekend:
Bridge Jam, Oct. 14-15
An event as unique and thrilling as Bridge Day needs music. And Bridge Jam certainly delivers. Hear legendary rock, bluegrass and country bands all weekend!
Here’s just a sample of the lineup:
- Award-winning modern bluegrass by The Grascals. Their soulful songs have earned national recognition from presidents and popular entertainers like Jay Leno.
- John Ellison, writer of the hit “Some Kind of Wonderful” will perform with The Carpenter Ants, a popular West Virginia band.
- Kentucky Headhunters, a Grammy-winning group, will spice things up with rock and country songs.
- Acoustic performers will end each day’s lineup with smooth tunes til midnight.
Bridge Jam also has an art show, craft beer, wine and food vendors. There’s plenty of room for camping and RVs, too.
Taste of Bridge Day, Oct. 14
Taste of Bridge Day jumpstarts your festival weekend the night before the festival. Stop by Adventures on the Gorge for Taste of Bridge Day, a gourmet tasting party at Smokey’s on the Gorge restaurant.
Admission is free, and tasting tickets are $1 each. All the best local and regional restaurants will be there, so pace yourself! You can even vote for the “Best of.”
The great cook-off, Oct. 15
Fayetteville’s cooking up the zestiest, most satisfying chilis and cornbreads in the Gorge!
Want a taste? Of course you do! For $5, get 5 tasting tickets and voting beads to pick the People’s Choice Award. Pair up your favorite chilis with a few slices from the cornbread contest— the best fall combo!
The top 3 winners get cash prizes, including $100 for 1st place. Enter the competition for cooking glory, or watch the drama unfold at the judging booth!
More Gorge adventures
Check out these other weekend activities:
- Bridge Day 5k by Active Southern West Virginia. Prepare for one of the most scenic races of your life! The 3.1-mile competition takes you through the southbound lane of Route 19, the New River Gorge Bridge and historic downtown Fayetteville. Only 200 racers can compete, so claim your spot quickly!
- Yoga clinic. Meditate and stretch at 3 p.m. at the Cascade property on Maple Avenue.
- Bridge Day Car Show. Admire the vintage and collectible vehicles at the Gorge Gateway Center.
- Special Bridge Day rafting trips! AOTG will take you right under the New River Gorge Bridge to catch all the action. Imagine the unique perspective you’ll get as jumpers parachute right towards you!
How do you plan to spend Bridge Day weekend?